According to 1923 census data, Germans made up around four per cent of total Kaunas population. Although the number of Germans living in Lithuania remained almost unchanged throughout the entire period of the First Republic, and German claims to Klaipėda region led local authorities to tighten monitoring of political, cultural and educational activities of this ethnic minority, German upper exact sciences gymnasium was established in Kaunas in 1920.
In 1922 the construction of the school building took off according to a draft by Swiss architect Eduardas Pejeris at the intersection between Vytautas Avenue and Ūkis Street (now Totoriai Street). However, the works were finished according to the draft by V. Landsbergis-Žemkalnis. The building is a characteristic example of functionalism: one of the most outstanding highlights is different-sized windows designed to let enough light in the school. Aesthetic solutions of the front face consist of a harmony between symmetry (equal arrangement of windows) and asymmetry (the main entrance built on the side; different-sized windows). Minimalist exterior allowed the massive three-story building to easily and seamlessly blend in with the urban landscape, yet avoid becoming monotonous or boring.
In 1930 the school was granted gymnasium status. During the interwar period the school was taken care of by the German Cultural Association of Lithuania (“Kultūrferbandas”), which was based at the student dormitory. Following the start of WWII, the gymnasium was closed. Later the building was home to a Russian secondary school (now Aleksandras Puškinas Gymnasium)