Higher Technical School (now Kaunas Technical College)
(Survived
, k.k.v.r.
33716
)
<p style="text-align: justify;">Following the restoration of independence and with the demand for qualified specialists growing, in 1920 the government ordered the construction of the Higher Technical School. Rapidly growing popularity of higher education at the beginning of the thirties indicated the need for a new building which would satisfy all needs of such institution. The new building was to represent not only an improving educational system of a young nation, but also to increase the working conditions of students – due to the lack of facilities at the old building lectures were read in two shifts.</p>
<p style="text-align: justify;">The architecture of the building indicates the author’s preference to arrange certain modernist forms by historical principles. Symmetric facade of the building has two avant-corps which emphasise the central axis and the entrance, and the impression is further enhanced by a massive staircase. The monumental structure built on top of a small hill became the dominant landmark in a low-skyline suburb-type region.</p>
<p style="text-align: justify;">Already several years later the school became too big for the building, as evidenced by the annex designed by Stasys Kudokas in 1941 found in archives. Stylistically consistent building was to house additional workshops, laboratories and rooms. Although coordination of the construction took until 1943 to finish, the annex was never built, and during the Soviet period the premises were extended by structures characteristic of educational architecture of that time.</p>
<p style="text-align: justify;"><em>Paulius Tautvydas Laurinaitis</em></p>
Adresas: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Tvirtovės al. 35
Architektūros tipas: Professional
Architektai: Stasys Kudokas
Metai: 1936
Laikotarpis: Interwar
Architektūros šakos: Architecture, Separate building, Education, Trade school, Academy / University / College
Medžiagos: Masonry (brick)
Nuotraukos: 20
Susiję objektai
Antanas Gravrogkas House in Kaunas
Antanas Gravrogkas House in Kaunas
1930 - 1932
Primary school in Aleksotas
Primary school in Aleksotas
1931
Colony of cheap apartments of Kaunas City Municipality
Colony of cheap apartments of Kaunas City Municipality
1933 - 1934
Primary School in Šančiai
Primary School in Šančiai
1935
Residential House of Architect Stasys Kudokas
Residential House of Architect Stasys Kudokas
1937
Officers club Ramovė
Officers club Ramovė
1931 - 1937
Kaunas Clinics Complex
Kaunas Clinics Complex
1937 - 1939
Old People’s Home
Old People’s Home
1937 - 1938
Antanas Smetona gymnasium in Ukmergė
Antanas Smetona gymnasium in Ukmergė
1937 - 1938
Faculty of Medicine at Vytautas Magnus University
Faculty of Medicine at Vytautas Magnus University
1931 - 1933
State Insurance Company
State Insurance Company
1932
Apartment House for Workers and Civil Servants
Apartment House for Workers and Civil Servants
1936 - 1941
The Palace of the Bank of Lithuania in Panevėžys
The Palace of the Bank of Lithuania in Panevėžys
1937 - 1938
Temporary M. K. Čiurlionis Art Gallery
Temporary M. K. Čiurlionis Art Gallery
1924 - 1925
Kurhaus of Aukštoji Panemunė, Kaunas
Kurhaus of Aukštoji Panemunė, Kaunas
1935
Mansion “Eglutė”
Mansion “Eglutė”
1929
Hospital in Šakiai
Hospital in Šakiai
1933 - 1937
Sanatorium “Tulpė” of Kaišiadorys Diocese Priests
Sanatorium “Tulpė” of Kaišiadorys Diocese Priests
1937
House in Kaunas, Vytautas av. 52
House in Kaunas, Vytautas av. 52
1929
Railway station in Plungė
Railway station in Plungė
1931 - 1932
House built by Uršulė and Zigmas Starkai
House built by Uršulė and Zigmas Starkai
1933 - 1937
1 21

Following the restoration of independence and with the demand for qualified specialists growing, in 1920 the government ordered the construction of the Higher Technical School. Rapidly growing popularity of higher education at the beginning of the thirties indicated the need for a new building which would satisfy all needs of such institution. The new building was to represent not only an improving educational system of a young nation, but also to increase the working conditions of students – due to the lack of facilities at the old building lectures were read in two shifts.


The architecture of the building indicates the author’s preference to arrange certain modernist forms by historical principles. Symmetric facade of the building has two avant-corps which emphasise the central axis and the entrance, and the impression is further enhanced by a massive staircase. The monumental structure built on top of a small hill became the dominant landmark in a low-skyline suburb-type region.


Already several years later the school became too big for the building, as evidenced by the annex designed by Stasys Kudokas in 1941 found in archives. Stylistically consistent building was to house additional workshops, laboratories and rooms. Although coordination of the construction took until 1943 to finish, the annex was never built, and during the Soviet period the premises were extended by structures characteristic of educational architecture of that time.


Paulius Tautvydas Laurinaitis